Tuesday 3 January 2012

Happy New Year!

I've been a bit AWOL this past month but as part of my New Years resolution I've promised to start blogging more. I've also set myself a goal to drink less alcohol and try to lose the 10 pounds I've gained over the last six months!

I've put the huge weight gain down to my current circumstances (and complete lack of willpower!) Before moving back to Cheltenham I worked in a very active job where I was on my feet for most of the day. My boyfriend was working abroad so I often ate by myself in the week, which meant low maintenance meals mainly consisting of vegetables and pasta. Since being in Cheltenham I've been working in an office and living with Jack (who is on expenses) full time in the town centre. This means lots of meals out and the temptation to eat the same as him when we are eating at home. The result has meant a 10 pound weight gain which means I'm now almost as big as I was when I left University which is the heaviest I've ever been! I'm also drinking alcohol on a daily basis which is definitely not helping my figure or health. So basically I've decided to do something I never thought I'd do - yep, I've decided to do a "fad" diet!

I know, I know, they only make you miserable and the weight you've worked so hard to lose only comes straight back on again as soon as you start eating normally. Now, I'm not going to defend it as I'm not starting it until tomorrow so have no idea what its going to be like or what I'm going to achieve but I'm going to give it a go none the less.

So the diet I've decided to try out is the Dukan Diet. It's basically a high protein diet devised by the French Doctor Dukan. I downloaded the book to the Kindle and have been mulling it over for the past 5 days and decided that I'll give it a go. I'm the most motivated I've been in a long while to lose weight as I feel awful so its as good a time as any. I'm also going travelling in a few months and would like to feel more confident to wear a bikini whilst I'm there. Travelling is also going to allow me to be more active and eat sparingly so hopefully the combination of the two will help me get to a healthy weight.

So, tomorrow I start Stage 1 of the Dukan Diet - the Attack Phase. This is the most drastic of the stages and also the time when you lose the most in the shortest period. I'm planning to put myself through this for 5 days... eek. It's the Pure Protein phase and means that I can eat as much protein foods as I like during this period. This includes beef, venison, chicken, shellfish, fish, low fat ham, fat free yoghurts & cottage cheese, eggs and oat bran. Wish me luck!

On another note, I hope you all had a fab Christmas and New Year. I really wasn't feeling at all festive this year and I'm kind of glad its all over (bah humbug!) I got some lovely gifts including an extensive range of Nails Inc varnishes and some knits from Monki (which I had to send back as they were all a bit frumpy and unflattering), as well as a sewing kit and Assassins Creed (geek). I also had a fantastic New Year, thanks to the boy, who took us off to Edinburgh for the new year celebrations. We stayed in a fabulous B&B, Kew House, and went to the Hotnamy Street Party and boogied to Friendly Fires and welcomed in the New Year with a fantastic fireworks display... I really am spoilt! Scotland was fantastic and I really want to go back and visit the rural areas as driving through Scotland was breathtaking - the views really are incredible.

(Forgive the photos - we forgot the camera so had to make do with my Phone!)




No comments:

Post a Comment